The entrance archway to Gibbys stands on what was once the south bank of the “Saint Pierre River”, near the original Huron settlement of Hochelaga. Visits to the site by the early explorers, Jacques Cartier in 1535, and Champlain in 1611, led to the first permanent settlement by de Maisonneuve in 1641.
It was 1968, during the time Gibby and Allan worked in their father’s business selling office and restaurant supplies, where our story begins. Having a front row seat of many eating establishment’s planning, meant that they took part in the “behind the scenes” of the thriving Montreal culinary landscape. This where they learned to take a concept of space and potential, from the planning stages to the launch of a successful restaurant.